New Zealand Family Visa


There are several ways in which the families of New Zealand residents may apply for entrance to the country. Temporary visas can be provided for shorter visits – there are several temporary visa policies available, based on your relationship to the New Zealand citizen or resident.

Usually, a standard visitor's visa will suffice in these cases; however, parents and grandparents of New Zealand citizens and residents can obtain multiple-entry visas, which enable them to enter the country several times over three years.

As with any other visa, general health and character requirements must be met before anyone is issued a visa allowing them to enter New Zealand.

Applying under the New Zealand family stream plan Any recognized partner (opposite or same-sex) of a New Zealand citizen or resident, be it an officially sanctioned or de facto partnership, may apply for New Zealand residency.

Your partner must be eligible to sponsor you, meaning that they must be able to prove their immigration standards and meet certain character requirements. Specifically, sponsors and partners cannot have been convicted of domestic violence or a sexual crime.

Family work Visa Stream instructions:

The Family stream enables the following people to undertake temporary employment in New Zealand:

1. the partners of New Zealand citizens or residence class visa holders, and partners of Long Term Business Visa holders, whose ultimate intention is likely to be to apply for residence; and the partners of holders of work visas;

2. Another category of work visa is under Family work policy. Where partners of New Zealand citizens or residents may be issued with a work visa if they are in a genuine and stable relationship, the New Zealand partner intends to be in New Zealand for the same period of time and supports the application.

Work visas are also issued to partners of those who are on student visa in New Zealand. Such partners must be enrolled either for a qualification at level 7 and or those which are listed under skill shortages.

Dependent children and young adults:

If you are already a citizen or resident of New Zealand and wish to gain visas and/or residency for your children, you must be abiding permanently and lawfully in New Zealand, and be able to provide proof of your residency status.

Children must meet the same basic health and character requirements that all visa and residency applicants are held to before being allowed to enter the country.

Under recent changes to the family stream, young adult children aged 18 to 20 may be eligible for residence - even if they have a job in their home country - provided they are single, have no children and are included, or were declared, in their parents’ residence application.

Sponsoring parents:

The government has introduced a two-tier process for the parents of New Zealand citizens and residents who want to migrate here. Applications from parents whose adult children earn enough to support them without any need for taxpayer assistance, and from those with a guaranteed income or funds, will be fast-tracked through the system.

Begin the process now

Even if you are not yet a New Zealand resident, but are planning a permanent move and eventual residence there, you can start the process of bringing your family to join you.

There are a number of temporary visas available as a legal means to bring relations into New Zealand to join you, and if they prove themselves reputable, productive and law-abiding individuals, their application for residency is likely to be approved.

Have Questions? Get in Touch

Book Free Consultation

Planning to Study Abroad or Need Business Visa or Family Visa we are here to assist you.

Get Consultation